Possible Contained Memory sessions:
The Land / Earth / Landscape
* The expression of memory in personified land and landscape features; cultural erasure and renaissance
* Diaspora: the threat of memory loss following migration and the preservation of intergenerational memory expressed physically through photographs, diaries, and artifacts, and the intangible or ephemeral qualities of dance, theatre, and songs from “home”
* Sites of trauma
* Genealogy / whakapapa
Containing public memory
* Museums, records, archives, memorials, oral histories and mnemonic devices
* Transmission, preservation, mutability of memory
Rituals of memory
* Enacting / performing of memory “acts”
* Mimetic performance
* Narratives, mythology / folklore, and cosmologies
Site / Space / Time
* Bodily memory expressed through performance and ritual
* Interaction between the present and the past
Memory and the senses
* Phenomenology of the senses
* Music / sound
* Externalization of personal memory in art forms
The human mind
* The nature of memory and the definition of self; cognitive neuroscience and neuropsychology
* Psychoanalysis; forgetting as a means of suppressing trauma or facilitating cultural destruction, annihilation, or oblivion
* Trauma, dementia, the mutability and fragility of memory
* The mind and digital memory
Because of the geographic location of the conference it is envisaged that some papers will respond to contained memory in Aotearoa New Zealand and the Pacific.
Call for Participation
The conference seeks to bring together multidisciplinary perspectives in a discourse on contained memory. By encompassing a wide variety of ways of conceiving memory through different cultural and theoretical orientations and disciplinary backgrounds, it is hoped this conference can build a nexus of contained memories.
Possible Contained Memory sessions: The Land / Earth / Landscape, Containing public memory, Rituals of memory, Site / Space / Time, Memory and the senses / Autobiography, The human mind.
Because of the geographic location of the conference it is envisaged that some papers will respond to contained memory in Aotearoa New
The Contained Memory Conference 2010 invites papers for competitive selection by an international peer review panel.
If you wish to submit an abstract for the conference, please email:
* title of your paper
* a 250 word abstract
* a brief biography (a few sentences)
to Kingsley Baird at email@example.com.
Please give the email the subject ‘Contained Memory abstract – your surname’. Conference presentations will be approximately 20 minutes in length.
Last day for Submission of Abstract April 30, 2010.
Notification of acceptance July 1, 2010.
Last day for Submission of Abstract: 30 April 2010.
Notification of acceptance: 1 July 2010.
source: conference website (www.containedmemory.org.nz)
Post a Comment